Sunday, September 28, 2008

Adai

We had this for our Sunday breakfast/brunch. I got the idea for this adai (savory pancake) from SaffronHut. Here's how I made it:


1 cup brown rice

1/4 cup udad dal

3/4 cup mix of green gram, masur dal, whole masur and barley (I got this mix at the grocey store)

Salt to taste

A generous pinch of asafotida

1 tsp ginger paste

1/2 tsp red chilli pwd

1 medium onion - chopped

Chopped cilantro


I soaked the first three ingredients together overnight in plenty of water. Next morning, I drained about a cup of water & blended the rest in a mixer. Added Salt, asafotida, ginger, onions and cilantro.


To make the adais, heat a non-stick pan on medium, spread one ladleful of the batter starting at the center and spreading it outwards in a circle. Drizzle 1-2 drops of oil around the edges. Cook for about 3-4 mins until golden brown and crisp. Then flip over and cook similarly on the other side.


I served these adais with tomato-carrot chutney and zuke-a-mole.


These adais are off to the WBB: Grains in my Breakfast event at Aparna's My Diverse Kitchen.
The WBB event is the brainchild of Nandita of Saffron Trail.




And also to the JFI - Whole Grains event at Suganya's Tasty Palettes.

1 comment:

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Supriya.
Adai is one of our traditional and regular breakfasts so I don't have to say we love it. The chutneys you have made with them are unusual. Thanks for sending them in for WBB.

Related Posts with Thumbnails