Saturday, September 27, 2008

Vegetarian Chilli Mac

Chilli is a popular dish in Southern US. I remember the annual chilli cook-outs in downtown Dallas near my office. This is a vegetarian version combining beans, tomatoes, other veggies and macaroni. I have been religiously scanning the Sunday newspaper coupons and ads for past several years. I found this recipe in one such coupon for Barilla brand pasta.

2 tsp oil ( I use olive oil)
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
1 clove garlic - minced
1 can red kidney beans - drained & rinsed
1 can cannelini beans - drained & rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes - undrained
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tsp cumin pwd
2 tsp coriander pwd
2 tsp red chilli pwd
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup macaroni - uncooked

Heat the oil. Saute onions, bell peppers. Add all the other ingredients, plus 1 cup water. Stir gently. Simmer uncovered for about 15 mins, stirring occasionally until the macaroni is cooked. Garnish with shredded cheese (I used cheddar) and green onions.

This makes great comfort food for cold, wet nights.

This chilli is off to the My Legume Love Affair Event being hosted by Lucy. This event is the brainchild of The Well-Seasoned Cook.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Another proof that recipes on the coupons and labels really do work.
Delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails