Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Vegetable & dal soup with roasted peppers sandwich


This made for a warm and hearty meal on a recent weekend.

Vegetable & Dal Soup -

1/2 cup moong dal - washed & soaked for 1 hr.
1 onion - chopped
2 tomatoes - chopped
1 carrot - chopped
1 tsp cumin pwd.
1 tsp coriander pwd
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk

I prepared this in my pressure pan. First heat the oil, saute the onions, then add the tomatoes & carrots. Saute another few mins. Add the dal, cumin & coriander pwd. Add about 2 cups of water, close the lid & cook for 2 whistles. After the pressure cools down, open the lid. Blend with a hand blender or in a mixer when slightly cool. After this you can sieve it for a smoother soup, but I did not as the soup was pretty smooth for my taste and I love a little bit of fiber in it. Return the soup to the pressure pan, add salt, pepper and the milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Serve hot.

Roasted Peppers Sandwich -

2 cups colored peppers - chopped. I used a mix of red, orange, yellow & green
4-6 slices of bread - I used whole wheat sourdough from Trader Joes
Salt & Pepper to taste
To slater over the bread you can use - butter, hummus, cream cheese or this zuke-a-mole like I did.

I roasted the peppers in a non-stick pan on the stove top with a drop or 2 or olive oil. Added salt & pepper. And heaped them on to slices of toasted bread slathered with the zuke-a-mole. This sandwich went very well with the soup.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails