Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Vitamin Bhel


When my daughter gets home from school, she is usually famished & immediately demands a snack along with her afternoon milk. I had been giving her her favorite - PB & J sandwich for a few days in a row and started feeling guilty about it...not that she minded, she loves her PBJ. But yesterday I was determined to whip up something different for her. A Vitamin Bhel that I had found in one of Tarla Dalal's magazines long back was the inspiration for my above dish. The main change I made was to make it a dry bhel (sukki bhel) using only chaat masala, instead of the version in the magazine that used green chutney and tamarind-dates chutney.

I did not really measure the ingredients, you can add or delete per your taste. Here's how I put it together:

Mix the following dry items - handful of kurmure (puffed rice - I usually lightly roast them before storing), shev, peanuts.

Mix the following separately - boiled, peeled & cubed potatoes, frozen peas - thawed in the microwave, frozen corn - thawed in the microwave, shredded carrots, cubed apple pieces, few orange segments, few pomegranate pearls.

Just before serving mix the dry and not-so-dry ingredients together with a big pinch of chaat masala.

This came together in 10 mins flat, which is all the time I have between me getting back from work and N's school bus arrival. I usually am not big on mixing fruits and veggies, but was surprised how good they tasted together, with the chaat masala. We both polished off our bowls of Vitamin Bhel in no time. I will definitely be making this more often.


This Vitamin Bhel goes to the Guilt-free Snacks event at Health Nut.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the name of the dish,mixing fresh ingredients does make this great for snacking.thanks for sharing :D

Sushma Mallya said...

Quiet a healthy one and seems really delicious too...nice one supriya

Related Posts with Thumbnails