Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rajasthani Pumpkin and Potato subji

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the pumpkin my daughter picked from Remlinger Farms was lying on my kitchen counter for almost 2 weeks. So over the weekend, I decided to finally use it. I used about half of it in this Rajasthani Pumpkin and Potato subji from Tarla Dalal's magazine. Here's how I made it:

1 cup cubed potatoes
1 cup cubed pumpkin
2 tsp oil
2 bayleaves
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 star clove
1 tsp panch phoron (mix of mustard seeds, fennel seeds, kalonji, cumin and methi seeds)
1/2 cup yogurt/dahi
1/4 tsp turmeric pwd
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
1 tsp cumin pwd
1 tsp coriander pwd
1/2 tomato - chopped
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp amchur pwd.

1. Heat the oil in a wok. Add the whole spices. Allow to crackle.


2. In the meanwhile, combine the yogurt with turmeric, red chilli pwd, cumin pwd and coriander pwd. Add some water and mix well. Add to the wok and fry 2 mins.

3. Add the chopped tomatoes. Fry 5 mins.



4. Then add the potatoes and pumpkin. Add about 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook on medium low, stirring often. When the potaotes and cooked, add salt and amchur pwd.



This is a dry, aromatic subji that goes well will rotis/ puris.


Rajasthani Pumpkin and Potato subji




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails