Friday, February 5, 2010

Thai Noodles and Thai Wrap with Peanut Sauce


We are all big peanut lovers at my place. So when I came across these recipes, I couldn't wait to try them. And I'm so glad I did - they were extremely well received. I was especially happy that my daughter loved them and gobbled up her dinner that night.

The Noodles recipe is from a Tarla Dalal magazine, it was called Hot Noodle Wok I think. And the Wrap is from the Vegan Family Cookbook (an excellent book that I borrowed from the library after reading about it on Madhuram's Eggless Cooking.). I used the same Peanut Sauce for both and did modify both recipes to suit our needs.

Here's how I made the Peanut Sauce:

6 tbsp smooth peanut butter
4 tbsp soy sauce 
2 tsp Thai Red Curry paste (store bought)
3 tbsp grated gul (jaggery)
3 tsp tamarind paste mixed in 3 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon juice
Additional salt per taste

Mix all the ingredients to form the Peanut Sauce. This made about 2 cups of the sauce.

Here's how I made the Thai noodles:

Any variety of noodles cooked per package instructions
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 c. tofu - drained and cubed
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 c. chopped peppers (I used green, red, yellow & orange)
6 baby corn - sliced into half each
1/2 cup shredded carrots
Coarsely ground peanuts and chipped cilantro for garnish

Heat the oil in a non-stick wok. Saute the onions for 5 mins. on medium heat. Add the diced tofu, increase the heat and let them brown slightly . Then add the garlic, peppers, carrots and baby corn. Saute on high on 5 mins. Then add the cooked noodles and about 1 cup peanut sauce. Stir well. Add more salt & pepper if desired. Also, if the sauce is too thick, add a few tbsp of water so that the noodles don't feel too dry. Heat thru & serve hot, garnished with crushed peanuts and chopped cilantro.

Here's how I made the Thai Wrap:

4 burrito size tortillas
1/4 head red cabbage - shredded
1 cup shredded carrots (I used store bought)
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup green onions
1 cup shredded lettuce of other mixed greens

Saute the cabbage in a non-stick pan for 2 - 3 mins. Add the carrots, bean sprouts, bean sprouts, green onions and about 1 cup peanut sauce. Mix well and cook 5 mins. Adjust salt as desired. Take off heat. Warm a tortilla either in the microwave or on a pan. Spread the veggie - peanut sauce mix and some mixed greens in the center. Roll up burrito style.

2 comments:

Usha said...

I love thai style peanut sauce, looks fantastic !

ARUNA said...

Looks nice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails