Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sprouts Quesadilla


I love Mexican food (vegetarian ofcourse) and especially Quesadillas. I have already posted my Bell Pepper Quesadillas and Zucchini-Corn Quesadillas. I saw a recipe in the Vegetarian Times magazine featuring sprouts as the filling and was quite intrigued. So I tweaked the recipe to spice it up a bit and was very pleased with the results.

Here's how I made them:

1 cup sprouted, boiled moong & matki sprouts
1 tomato - sliced vertically
1/4 onion - sliced vertically
1 tsp Lawry's Taco Seasoning or to taste
Pinch of salt to taste
Chopped cilantro
Few drops of Chipotle Peppers in Abodo Sauce (to add a smoky hot taste)
Store bought salsas - I used Costco's Mango Salsa and Trader Joes's Avocado Salsa Verde
Shredded Mexican Cheese blend
4 whole wheat tortillas

Mix the salt, taco seasoning and cilantro with the sprouts. To assemble the quesadillas, layer each half of the tortillas with the sprouts mix, top with sliced onions and tomatoes, cheese, salsas and few drops of the hot sauce.



Fold the tortillas over and cook on a non-stick pan with few drops of oil until lightly browned on both sides.

Serve the warm tortillas, cut in half with salsas, sour cream etc. These a quite flavorful and can be eaten just by themselves without any accompaniments.

Before I end this post, here are some pictures of how I prepare my sprouts.


Wash the moong, matki beans well and soak in pleanty of water overnight.



Next morning, they will have started sprouting. Wash well again in water and drain into a colander.


Cover the beans in the colander with a plate and place some heavy cans over the plate.


By next morning the sprouts are ready.

I usually make a big batch of them, pressure cook them (2 whistles) and freeze them in smaller bags. This comes in handy when I'm short on veggies.

These Sprouts Quesadillas are off to the Lets Sprout event and Priya's Easy N Tasty blog.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails