Friday, August 9, 2013

Zucchini Thepla


Thepla is a flatbread made with wheat flour, gram flour, spices and some combination of veggies like fenugreek (methi) leaves, grated bottle gourd, zuchhini etc. My aunt always gives me a bunch of theplas when I leave Mumbai for US. They make excellent travel food as they stay good for 2 - 3 days and taste good eaten as is.
 
Yesterday I made theplas with grated green and yellow zucchini. Here's how I made them:
 
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup gram flour
About 1/2 cup grated zucchini
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cumin pwd
1 tsp coriander pwd
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
1/4 tsp amchur pwd
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 tbsp. crushed kasuri methi
1 tsp cumin seeds
pinch of hing
3 tbsp. yogurt
3 tbsp. oil
 
Take all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
 
 
Mix well and knead into a smooth pliable dough. Use only a few tbsp. of water to knead. The dough should be slightly firmer than roti/poli dough, but softer than puri dough. Cover the dough with a wet towel and keep for 15 mins.
 
Then divide into 7 balls. Roll each into a round shape.
 
Roast on a skillet until brown spots form on both sides. I have roasted 2 without oil, rest with oil. This made 7 theplas for me.
 
 







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails